All photos and text are property of Dave Forney and may not be used without express permission.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Trekking With My Son -- The Pujungan Hulu Adventure: Part 3

Well, you guessed it!  Pretty soon that distant thunder was directly overhead and it began to rain again.   It rained all that night and the river was even higher by the next morning.  Britton had a great attitude, but we were understandably a bit frustrated by the weather.  Did I mention that this is the reality of jungle travel?  Imagine if you had a medical emergency and needed to get out of there quickly.  There's no airstrip in Long Jelet.  There's no other way out other than by taking a boat down the river or by several days of hiking to Pujungan, where an MAF plane could pick you up.  But the river was out of the question!

Since it now seemed that we'd be stuck at least another day in the village, by this time we were contemplating canceling the rest of our trip and simply waiting for the first chance to head out.  I don't get a lot of vacation time each year and we didn't want to take the whole six days sitting in a village if we could bug out sooner and try it again at a different time.  About then a village elder came along to see what our plan was.  He mentioned that if we were up to the challenge, we could simply cross the flooded river directly across from the village and bushwhack our way straight up the mountain until eventually intersecting the trail that we had originally intended to take which started much further upriver.  Having done an excruciating two-week bushwhacking trek two years ago, I wasn't sure this was a good idea, especially in light of all the rain and bad weather we'd been having.  It can be a LOT of work!  But Britton was 100% gung ho, even if it meant we might not ever get to our intended destination.  He just wanted to get out there and get into the jungle.  So that's what we did!  

Thirty minutes later, having wolfed down a hearty breakfast of boiled fish, rice and bamboo shoots, we were standing knee-deep in a muddy rice paddy on the other side of the river, staring straight up into the cloud-shrouded mountains up which we intended to climb.  It was the very definition of hot and muggy!  Light rain was falling, the fog came and went, and we were soaked to the bone--the conditions were perfect for a full-immersion- Bornean-jungle-trek experience for Britton!  (Incidentally, those are just the foothills in the picture below...the bigger, steeper, mountains behind are hidden in the clouds.) 

Right off the bat the hiking was extremely difficult.  Actually, it was less hiking than it was a combination of mountain climbing up and sliding down.  It was so steep and slippery that even using both hands and feet, there were still places where we were unable to keep from sliding back down 10 or 15 feet before catching a root or shoot of some kind.  We were totally covered in mud from head to foot with steam rising from our bodies like an overheated car on the side of a summer highway.  And since I didn't have a water-proof camera, I wasn't able to take any pictures of that.  You'll just have to take my word on it.

Britton did great!  The guides kept offering to take his pack, but he was determined to carry his own gear for the duration of the expedition.  He kept up a steady pace, despite the relentless vertical climb.  Eventually, after about an hour and a half of climbing up, up, up, (but what seemed like half a day of climbing) we passed by a big buttressed tree trunk, where the roots were all dug out underneath by pigs.  Britton's excitement suddenly began to grow as it hit him that we were truly deep in the virgin jungles of Borneo.

We began to hear all sorts of birds calling to each other, jungle dear, monkeys and other animals.  And as we eventually found our way onto a ridge, the rain tapered off and the skies above cleared.  Even if 90% of the sunlight was blocked by the thick jungle canopy, it's always nice to see the sparkling shafts of sunlight poking through up there.  By mid-day we had found the original trail--much sooner than our guides had expected.

We stayed on the trail for a while, but eventually broke away from it, trying to make up for lost time by cutting corners.  Also, the trail only went to the base of the Bum River Waterfall, and we were still hoping to make it all the way to the crater, beyond were the trail ended.  The guides had actually never been to the crater from this direction, so eventually we had to split from the trail and make our own.  It was all very exciting!

Here's a few shots of some of the plants we saw along the way.  In one area we passed by hundreds of these flowering orchids.  We smelled them long before we saw them.  They had an unbelievably powerful, sweet aroma that was like a perfume or something of the sort.  The guides said that people in the city will pay a lot of money for these orchids, and that they had never seen so many in one place before.  But we left them undisturbed.

In the lower elevations, near the river, there were great stands of impenetrable bamboo.  The locals use bamboo for all kinds of things.  It's incredibly strong for it's size and weight, and widely available.

Everything in the jungle is in a constant struggle and fight for survival.  Plants and animals are all fighting for space, light and food.  And often, one plant or animal's death brings life to a myriad of others.  Everywhere you look, if you really stop to observe closely, you can see these epic battles being waged--whether it's fig vines slowly strangling the life out of a massive tree in the canopy above, or an army of ants devouring a fallen bird or insect on the jungle floor below.  Here, a small tree clings to the edge of a moss and dirt covered bolder at the edge of the creek, fighting for a foothold in the floor below as it shoots towards the light high above.

Throughout the day we crossed, and re-crossed the Bum River many times--probably 10 or 15 times total.  Britton did awesome!   He never fell, which is pretty amazing for his first time on a trek.   It's a lot harder than it looks, as every rock is covered with moss and algae, and it often feels like you're trying to walk over a bunch of giant ice cubes, whilst someone is trying to push your legs out from under you (the strong current).  In places it was up to his waste, and the roar of water was so loud that we couldn't hear each other from one side to the other, even when shouting.

Here we are catching a quick break late in the afternoon.  Wherever you sit, the leaches are quick to find you.  In fact, within seconds of sitting down on a rock or log, you can literally see the ground moving at times, as dozens of hungry leeches make a mad rush towards you from all directions, each one intent on gorging on your blood.  So this time, Britton decided to find a seat up off of the ground.  This hanging vine did quite nicely, and he got a 10 minute break, without having to do battle with the leeches.  Smart guy!

That afternoon we saw several pigs, some small deer, some really large deer (there's several species here--the smallest ones being no bigger than little dogs, while the largest ones are almost the size of a small elk), some monkeys and a bunch of birds (including hornbills) and insects.  We were looking for meat to eat.  Our guides brought rice, but we were all counting on getting some game to go with it.  The number-one most enjoyed meat here is a fat jungle pig.  Britton had the chance to try to shoot one of the pigs we saw, but it was much to far away for a kill shot.  

Late in the afternoon we found a place to set up camp, just below the base of the crater rim that we intended to climb over and into the following day.  Britton and I set up our Hennessy Hammocks (foreground), whilst our guides set up a tarp under which we kept the cooking fire and all of our gear.  Originally, our plans had been to camp at a different spot each night, completing a giant hiking circle over the course of four or five days.  However, because of our loss of time due to all the rain delays, we decided that we'd just make this our base camp, from which we'd set out to explore the following day.  Not having to clean up and set up camp again would save us time and effort.  Plus, we already knew that we'd have to return via the same route we entered, because we no longer had enough time to do the full circle.

Britton was intent on learning and helping with all of the tasks to survive out there.  He helped clear the area for the camp, and helped set it up.  He helped get things ready for the following day.  He helped look for firewood.  One of the big tasks each day is getting safe drinking water.  The guides drink very little water compared to us, so they just boil it once per day and they're done.  However  I drink about six to ten liters a day... but I only carry about four liters at a time.  So several times each day I have to pump water through a filter.  Depending on how clear the water is, it can sometimes take a bit of effort.  Near our camp was  little stream that provided a nice place from which to pump water.  So Britton refilled our Nalgenes and Camelbacks, so we were all set for the next day.

Work hard, play hard, that's my motto.  So after all the work was done, we goofed off.  Britton found a vine hanging over the creek from way up high in the canopy above, and was soon swinging from side to side across the creek.  You can't really tell from the picture, because I'm shooting it from up on a small ridge above, but he's about 10 feet above the creek as he swings from one bank to the other.

That night, one of our guides shot a deer while we slept.  The next morning Britton joined him as he cut hunks of the "best" choice meats from the dear for us to eat for breakfast, including but not limited to the heart, liver, intestines, udder, and other unidentifiable organs (since I wasn't there when they cut it, I'm not sure what they were--but Britton had some guesses).  Oh, and they threw in a few pieces of boring ol' standard meat too, just for good measure.  In the picture below, Britton watches as breakfast cooks over the fire--a pot of various deer organs boiling over, while some spongy udder begins to roast in the foreground, along with some other pieces of meat.  

I was really proud of Britton.  He eagerly tried each and every type of "meat", and ate all of it with a big ol' smile on his face.  In fact, he even took seconds.  Obviously, this is not the type of thing we normally eat as average Americans, but every people and culture in the world enjoys all kinds of foods that other people would think strange.  And if they eat it and survive, it must be safe to eat.  So it's mostly a mental thing, to be able to eat something that you think to be strange, but really is just fine.  We've tried to teach our kids to be open and polite to accept and eat whatever is offered by a host, and to do so with a good attitude.  Britton though, has gone beyond that, and actually "enjoys" many of the foods that, well, to be quite frank, are quite "gamy" and strong in flavor.  By this point in the trip, the guides were absolutely loving having him along.  They kept saying that he was certainly half Dayak--because of the way he hiked so sure-footed,  and his natural strength, and his desire to learn about the jungle and animals etc. etc.  They were very impressed.  And so was I!

Check back soon to find out the conclusion of our jungle trek--what we saw and did in the crater, and what we encountered on an exciting night hunt!

1 comment:

Laura said...

My Dayak husband and I (British) live in Palangka Raya and work in forest restoration. My husband specialises in tree identification. We've just recently had our first child, a girl. I found your blog a while back and love reading about your family's enjoyment of Borneo. You must have been such a proud dad on this trip! It made me smile as I imagine my husband will be taking our girl on similar treks in a few years from now... God bless, Laura